Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Cajun Rice & Sausage

I was looking to throw something together when we were running low on ingredients, and I found the basic recipe for this on allrecipes.com.  It was yummy comfort food and my husband said he really liked it a lot!  This recipe called for andouille sausage, and we had some sausage that my husband's work gave him and was in our freezer, and I honestly have no idea what kind of sausage it is.  It's the kind you slice up, like a smoked sausage, not one you crumble up like ground.  If you want to lower the calorie & fat content, you could use the reduced fat cream of mushroom and use turkey sausage. I did double the original recipe so you can easily half it for a smaller family.

Ingredients
2 cup white rice
4 cups chicken broth
1 lb sausage, sliced up
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
2 tbsp minced garlic
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed (optional)

Directions
Combine all ingredients, except mushroom soup, in a large stockpot.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 25-30 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in mushroom soup.  Super easy!

4-8-13: I added 2 can of drained black beans to the pot tonight and it was delicious!  I wanted to add something more nutritious to the pot and it came out yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment