Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Healthy Meatloaf

I have been trying to revamp my diet lately.  I am trying to eliminate artificial preservatives, hydrogenized oils, and high fructose corn syrup (HFCS).  I'm also trying to limit my white flour and white pasta intake as well.  I love my meatloaf recipe and so does the rest of my family, but it has Ritz crackers in it which have all 3 of the things I'm trying eliminate.  So, I decided to replace the crackers with rolled oats to make a healthier version of my meatloaf.  I liked the way these turned out, and my husband agreed too.  I doubled the recipe and made them into muffins.  They fell apart more than my regular meatloaf so I might try a little less milk next time.

Ingredients
1 lb ground turkey
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 yellow onion, diced (or 1 Tbsp dried minced onion)
1 egg
1/4 cup or less milk, 1% or fat free (use different milk or even water for dairy-free)
1/4 cup ketchup (I choose ones with no HFCS)
1 Tbsp worcester sauce
1 cup rolled oats

Directions
Combine all ingredients well and divide evenly into large muffin tins (makes about 12 muffin loaves).  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. 

Hide your veggies: put a large handful of finely chopped spinach (I did mine in my food processor) in your meatloaf mix. I can't even tell the difference.

Egg-free: use one of my egg substitutions to the right if you need egg free. I prefer flax seed as my choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment