Thursday, May 31, 2012

Brown Rice Mock Risotto

I made this for my family with some chicken and my children in particular absolutely loved it.  My 21 month old gobbled it down and asked for seconds and thirds.  The original recipe called for adding a bunch of veggies, but I was using what I had on hand.  I had instant brown rice and have never made a risotto before, so I searched for a recipe that I could make a risotto with instand brown rice, and this is the one I found.

Ingredients
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups instant brown rice
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
4 oz cream cheese (I used regular but you can use reduced fat if you like)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2-4 Tbsp chopped green onions or chives

Directions
Heat oil in a skillet and sautee onion and salt 4-6 minutes.  Add rice and garlic and cook about 30 seconds.  Add broth and bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook 10 minutes.  Add cream cheese and stir until incorporated into the rice and creamy.  Continue cooking uncovered 5-10 more minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated.  Stir in Parmesan cheese and top with green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment