Friday, May 1, 2009

Poor Man's Lasagna

A version of this recipe was going around at my church, and I modified it a little bit. You will see at the bottom, under variations, you can do this multiple ways. Why it's called Poor Man's Lasagna, I don't know. When people at church were talking about how good this recipe was, I asked for the recipe and honestly thought it did not sound that good. After I made it, my whole family gobbled it up, and it has become a "keeper," as my hubby says, around here. :-)

Ingredients

1/2 onion or 1/2 tbsp dried minced onion
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup carrots, finely chopped or grated (optional)
1 lb ground turkey or beef
8oz mozzarella cheese
26oz jar of spaghetti sauce
1 cup sour cream
1 can of crescent rolls, I like to use the reduced fat (9/23/09: or try with 2 can of crescent rolls and layer it in between half the sauce and cheese. I did this the other night, and we liked it even more. We do love bread, and I will definitely be making this with 2 cans from now on!)Directions

Saute your onion, garlic, & ground meat together until meat is cooked through. Drain off excess fat and return to skillet. Add carrots, spaghetti sauce, and sour cream to meat. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour mixture into a 9x13 casserole, and top with cheese. Unroll your crescent rolls and layer on top of the cheese (you might have to stretch the dough a little to make it fit your pan). Bake according to the crescent roll directions or until rolls are lightly golden brown on top (I have to cook mine a couple minutes longer than the directions say.)

Variations: This recipe is very versatile. You can leave out or add any veggies you want. A full jar of sauce makes it very saucy. You can add anywhere from 1 cup all the way up to a full jar, depending on how saucy you like it. You can leave out the onions and garlic if you prefer it that way, and I'm even thinking about adding another layer in between sauce of crescent rolls next time I make it. You make this recipe how your family would like it. Oh, and my husband hates sour cream, but he can't detect it in this recipe, for those who don't like sour cream. :-)

Hide your veggies!: This recipe is so easy to hide your veggies in. Not only adding the chopped carrots into the dish is great, but adding some fresh spinach when you add the sauce to it is delicious and healthy as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment