Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Chicken Enchiladas


This is an absolute all time favorite! I have to make it once a week considering it's my husband's favorite. It is one I make for company often and everyone loves it!  It's very easy to make and only has 4 ingredients!

Ingredients
1 lb chicken breasts (or whatever kind of chicken pieces you like, leftover chicken works great... leave out and add more cheese for vegetarian version)
10-12 flour soft taco tortillas or about 15 corn tortillas (or a combo of both... use wheat tortillas for heart healthy and use corn for wheat/gluten free)
2 -10oz cans Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce (I used one can of mild green chili and one can of mild red in this recipe, but you can use whichever 2 you want, watch for allergens)
8oz shredded Mexican blend cheese

Directions
Boil chicken for about 30 minutes or until done, cool, and shred into a medium sized bowl.

Add 1 1/2 cups of the cheese and 8oz of sauce to the chicken and stir. These don't have to be exact measurements. I add enough sauce to moisten the mixture.

Take about 3-4 Tbsp of mixture and roll into each of the flour tortillas (or about half that for the corn tortillas). Line into a sprayed 9x13 pan.

Pour rest of sauce on top. Spread it in between tortillas and try to cover all the sides and top with sauce so the tortillas don't dry out. I use my fingers for this. :-) Sprinkle rest of cheese on top. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Great served with sour cream on the side.

Hide your veggies!!!: I like to stretch the filling by adding 1/2 cup of salsa to your enchilada filling.

WW points: normally 5 points but if you use reduced fat cheese and fat free flour tortillas, make 12 for only 3 points each!

3 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to try this recipe. I wish I had this recipe a few days ago when I had leftover rotisserie chicken. It looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! Never tried these! They look yummy!

    Send me your email through facebook and I'll send an invite to my blog, I have lots of fun recipes too! :)

    Kaylyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this recipe. I am always looking for quick, easy, cheap recipes for the YFC girls group we do. I will try this next time we teach them a recipe.

    ReplyDelete